Ernest Miller Hemingway was born on July 21, 1899 in Oak Park, Illinois. In the nearly sixty two years of his life that followed, he built a literary fame unsurpassed (无法超越) in the twentieth century.
As a boy he was taught by his father to hunt and fish along the shores and in the forests around Lake Michigan. The Hemingways had a summer house in northern Michigan, and the family would spend the summer months there trying to stay cool. Hemingway would either fish the different streams that ran into the lake, or would take the small boat out to do some ?shing there.He would also go squirrel hunting in the woods, discovering early in life the peace to be found while alone in the forest or going through a stream. It was something he could always go back to throughout his life, and though he often found himself living in major cities like Chicago, Toronto and Paris early in his life, once he became successful he chose somewhat isolated places to live in.
When he wasn’t hunting or fishing his mother taught him the good points of music. She was a skilled singer who once had wished a life on stage, but at last settled down with her husband and spent her time by giving voice and music lessons to local children, including her own. Hemingway was never talented for music and suffered through singing practices and music lessons, however, the musical knowledge he got from his mother helped him share in his ?rst wife Hadley’s interest in the piano.
1. Ernest Hemingway died in _______ .
A. 1969 B. 1979 C. 1981 D. 1961
2. Which of the following statements is NOT true according to the passage?
A. His father taught him to ?sh and hunt when he was a boy.
B. His family had a summer house in northern Michigan.
C. He taught himself music when he was a boy.
D. He also went squirrel hunting in the woods.
3. After he became successful, Ernest Hemingway _______ .
A. preferred to stay in big cities
B. chose to live in somewhat isolated places
C. moved his family to Paris
D. killed himself
4. Being talented in music, Hemingway’s mother once wanted to _______ .
A. be a music teacher
B. help Hemingway learn music
C. perform on the stage as a singer
D. marry a rich husband
5. The passage is most probably from _______ .
A. a literary biography
B. a science textbook
C. a term paper
D. a personal diary
1. D. 细节题。从文章首句明白海鸣威生于1899年，而后面又讲到在他的62年的一生中，就成了简单的加法运算，1899+62=1961，因此答案选D。
2. C. 细节题。A选项讲当他依然孩子的时候，他父亲就教他捕鱼和打猎，从文章第二段开头明白是正确的。B选项讲他家在北密歇根有个凉亭，文章第二段第二句讲到了，因此也是正确的。C选项讲他在小的时候自学了音乐是错误的，文章最后一段提到，是他母亲教他学习音乐的，而别是自学。D选项讲他到林子里去打松鼠是正确的，在文章的第二段能够寻到。
3. B. 细节题。在文章第二段的最后一句提到成名后，他更情愿住在与世隔绝的地点。
5. A. 推理题。题中有probably那个词，因此是推理题。A是文学自传，B是科学文献，C是学期论文，D是个人日记。写自传的话，普通都采取叙事的方式，而且是从童年写起，因此A正确。B科学文献可不能采取叙事的方式展开文章，因此别对。C学期论文，全然算是别对的，格式也别对。D个人日记，格式也别对，没有时刻和日期，最重要的是时刻的跨度太大。